Happy New Year mamas!
Much like every year, I started 2018 with hopes, dreams, resolutions and a “ready to kick some toosh” type of attitude. And since most of my resolutions involve being healthier, I decided to kick start the year with a January Whole30.
These are my babies and the reason I’m doing a #januarywhole30. My little guy on the left (Connor) is 6 months old (born 7.17.17) and my first born on the right (Jaden) will be turning 7 in August. We always tell him if he wants to be able to run a lot and be strong, he has to eat healthy and be healthy 💪🏼🏃🏻♂️. Before the New Year he came to me and asked me if I could eat healthy and be healthy so I can run a lot with him and have the energy to play with him more 😭. So I’m doing this for him (and myself). I’m determined to get my energy back and live a healthier lifestyle so I can chase these boys around for years to come.
So What is the Whole30?
Via whole30.com: “Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it. Are your energy levels inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition, like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies, or chronic pain, that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms are often directly related to the foods you eat—even the “healthy” stuff. So how do you know if (and how) these foods are affecting you?
Strip them from your diet completely. Eliminate the most common craving-inducing, blood sugar disrupting, gut-damaging, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the reset button with your health, habits, and relationship with food, and the downstream physical and psychological effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day-to-day life, long term health, body composition, and feelings around food.”
I decided to do Whole30 again (you can read about my first one here.) because the first time I did it I felt amazing afterwards. Since pregnancy I have been experiencing extreme brain fog and forgetfulness. I’ll be mid conversation and completely forget where I was going with my story and what I was saying. It’s affecting my job and my personal life, so something had to change!
Not only that, but I have been experiencing chronic and daily pain in my knees for two years now. Doctor’s say it’s patellar tendinitis and I have tried pain relievers, physical therapy, everything! I was hoping that doing Whole30 and eating an anti-inflammatory diet may just be the answer I’ve been looking for. I say this because, the first round of Whole30 that I completed completely took away a chronic hip pain that I had since being pregnant with my first son.
This Whole30 was surprisingly easy. Much easier than the first time around and I’m not sure why that is. Maybe because I took advantage of all the great products that weren’t available the first time. I switched up my food and tried new things. OR maybe it’s because I wasn’t afraid of fat this time around. I had ghee every morning with my coffee and even cooked with it. I believe it gave me the energy and brain fuel that I needed this time around.
So here are some non-scale victories that happened during my whole30:
- I was reminded again of how easy (and convenient it can be) to make healthy meals.
- I’m more patient with myself and my kids.
- My mind is more clear than it’s been in the last year.
- About half way through, my cravings stopped. I didn’t crave bread or a piece of dark chocolate after lunch or before bed.
- My patellar tendinitis got better (not completely gone but much much better). My knees do not ache in the middle of the night or throb while sitting with them bent at my desk.
- I have pretty good skin in general, I don’t typically breakout unless it’s that time of the month. Well it’s that time and I don’t have any breakouts!
- My energy is back! I’m not ready for bed right after dinner anymore. I have energy after dinner to actually do all the dishes so I can wake up to a clean kitchen (the best!).
- I fall asleep so fast and easy.
- And most importantly, I feel like I have the energy to play with my kids.
And for my scale victory… I lost 15 pounds during the past 30 days! I plan on continuing the Whole30 for a few more days and then re-weighing over the weekend when T.O.M. leaves to see if the numbers on the scale are different so I can know if I still gain weight during my period or not while eating whole.
Once I’m fully complete with my Whole30(33) then I will begin the re-introduction phase where I introduce one thing at a time back in to see how my body reacts.
There was ONE negative thing that happened during my Whole30. My beautiful super long nails broke off. And I guarantee it’s because of all the dishes I’ve been washing because the right hand broke off first (the one that’s always under running water). So TIP… get dish gloves! 😉 lol
Are you interested in trying out Whole30?
I’ve put together some things that helped me survive this round!
- 4th & Heart Vanilla Bean Ghee
- 4th & Heart Pink Salt Ghee
- Vital Proteins Collagen Pesticides
- Vital Proteins Coconut Coffee Creamer
- Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
- Vanilla Nutpods Creamer
- DoMatcha Green Tea Powder
- Primal Kitchen Caesar & Ranch Dressing (or make your own ranch – I love Whole Sisters Dump Ranch)
- Primal Kitchen Avocado Mayo
- Tessmae’s Ketchup (or google a recipe and make your own!)
- Frank’s Red Hot (original)
- Rao’s Pasta Sauce
- Cucina Antica Pasta Sauce
- Coconut, Avocado and Olive Oils
- Coconut Milk
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- GT’s Kombucha (my faves are Triliogy + Strawberry Serenity | always check labels, some have added sugar and are not compliant)
- La Croix
- Pederson’s No Sugar Bacon (google some other brands if you can’t find this one)
- Pederson’s No Sugar Breakfast Sausage (google some other brands if you can’t find this one)
- Applegate Uncured Hot Dogs
- Applegate Lunchmeat Turkey
- Ground Turkey, Ground Beef, Chicken, Steak
Always check labels! Make sure there is no added sugar and that all ingredients are compliant. Also, choose organic when able.
- Handheld Electric Coffee Frother (This is a lifesavor/game-changer if you are a coffee drinker! I use mine every single day.)
- fitlosophy fitfuser water bottle (I get asked all the time where I got my water bottle from. It allows you to put fruit in the center to add some flavor to your plain ol’ water!)
BOOKS + COOKBOOKS
- Whole30 It Starts with Food (If this is your first Whole30 – start with this book)
- Whole30 Day by Day (This book is great for tracking how you feel during the Whole30. It also includes day by day tips and encouragement.)
- Whole30 Fast and Easy (A great cookbook for busy mamas doing the Whole30!)
- fitbook by fitlosophy (A great book to track food + fitness during and after your Whole30)
- Healthy Little Peach’s eBook (Super cheap e-cookbook with great recipes!)
- Against All Grains (Some items are not Whole30, but many are – this is a wonderful cookbook for after Whole30)
- Celebrations (Same with this one, an amazing cookbook for all celebrations!)
- Knocked-Up Fitness Pregnancy Program (Great program to do with or without Whole30 for expecting mamas!)
- Core Rehab Program (Another great program to do with or without Whole30 if you’ve already had your baby. I love Erica’s workouts!)
- Zumba Country (If you want to have a little fun while working out – this video is great!)
- Dance Fitness with Jessica (Again, another fun one if you love to dance!)
TOP 3 FAVE INSTAGRAMS TO FOLLOW FOR INSPIRATION + GUIDANCE
- @DANIKABRYSHA – Danika is an old friend of mine who has completely transformed her life. She is the one who inspired me to do my first Whole30 in 2014 and she even has a meal delivery service with only Whole30 approved meals! [model meals] She is incredibly inspirational (and hilarious) and very down to earth. Whether you’re doing a Whole30 or not, trust me… you want to follow Danika!
- @JUSTJESSIEB – I love this girl and I’m not even sure how I stumbled upon her page but I am so glad that I did! Not only does she post delicious Whole30 Approved recipes, she has great tips and tricks as well!
- @HEALTHYLITTLEPEACH – This page is wonderful! She posts amazing meals and has a great e-Cookbook you can buy. She is a mom and is also pregnant so if you are currently expecting, she would be a great one to follow!
Well, that’s it you guys! If you have any questions about Whole30 or anything feel free to leave them in the comments below or message me on instagram @herwholejourney. I’m not an expert by any means (only my second round) but I will do my best to answer your questions and guide you along the way.
The posts on this website may contain affiliate links. Click here to read the full disclosure.